Monday 17 July 2017

Never use movers from Kijiji - How I got cheated - Moving in GTA (Must read this)

Hello Friends..

I am writing this post to spread awareness about the fraud going on around GTA by these so called "Movers" on kijiji. Looking at their adds might seem lucrative as they quote very less amount per hour for truck and labor but the reality is completely different.



They are completely CHEAT !!!

They attract you by posting these ads but when you actually get your work done, they rip you off like anything.

One, similar incident happened with me last week, which I will tell you now. Incident left me stunned as I never expected this much fraud in such an honest country like Canada.

Before Moving - Preparation

I was about to move from my condo in downtown to another condo and thought of using movers this time as I have a 2 year old daughter at home; thought it would be less work for me and also ease in moving.

So, I started looking at all movers which were available in my area and got quotes from some; but then I saw this ad on kijiji from "Two men and a Truck" movers which were quoting their price as $45 an hour including everything (two men and a truck) and on top of it $45 more for fuel. I gave them a call and the person on the other side told me all stories that how many years they are in business and how reliable they are. I double confirmed with the person that, is it the same rates as advertised on kijiji and he said yes.

All set now, I booked them and was relaxed as now moving will be stress free. But never expected below.

On day of moving

I booked the time as 9:00 AM on the place from where I had to move and booked elevators at my current and future place for move (In buildings you need to book elevators which are for a particular time interval for moving out and moving in).

I called the guy at 8:30 AM to confirm they are on their way, I got a reply which was surprising that the person was having difficulties finding the people to move but has arranged them now and the people would be at my place on time. All great till now, its 9:00 AM now and nobody is at my place, I called the person again and he said that movers are on way but will be 30 mins late; also he gave me the number of driver of the truck who was on the way. I called the driver but no reply, I got panicked. But any ways, as my elevator was booked, I started moving my stuff from my condo to the moving room, thinking that it would take them less time and hence less money. And also to let you know I have a one bedroom condo, so not much stuff.

It's 10:00 AM now and nobody is at my place, called the driver again but no answer. Land was sliding beneath my feet as I did not know what to do. Luckily I got call from driver and what he said surprised me like anything, he said that he is trying to call me from 30 mins and I am not available, bit of surprise but still OK (atleast they are coming).

Finally movers came to my place at 10:30 AM when I already brought half of my stuff to moving room, but I was OK for that, as it must have saved me some money.

The guys who came looked me were drunk and were moving like turtle, and as they were talking very less and walking very slowly and had a very good built, I could not counter them. Hoping they will finish the work in approx 4 hours and which would cost me $225 (45*4 + 45).

They loaded couple of my stuff in their truck and then told me that they want $200 advance from me, even though it was not disclosed to me any where I still gave them money as I wanted to get the work done. After taking advance, he gave me a document to sign with some basic stuff that pick up address, drop off address etc. I signed it.

They took almost 3 hours after that to load my stuff into the truck (for me its was not more than an hour job) and then told me that they will give me a final bill.

After loading, he started calculating the cost and gave me a bill of $1100; I was shocked and countered these guys. they told me its $45 per person and $45 per item which is more than 70 lbs; also on top of that $200 insurance, $45 fuel and $45 for which they were not able to reach me.

I was stunned and asked these guys that it is not the same which was communicated to me, he asked me to call their supervisor (cheat fellow). I decided to call the guy I was in touch with but he tols no they should not charge and suggested me to call their supervisor.

I called the supervisor and he told that these are the charges and I had to pay them; I gain tried to contact the guy I was in touch with but he ignored my calls. I had no other option left as my stuff was in their truck.

I asked the movers to go to my new place as elevator booking time is getting passed and I had to get the money from ATM; the person told me no and said that they need money before they move from there; I did not know what to do.

I asked the guys to follow me and we went to ATM, my account limit was exceeded as I can't withdraw more than $500 from ATM in a day; I was so stressed out that I felt like crying but then I thought of using my credit card to withdraw cash and that idea worked.

I paid him money and then the followed me to my new place, they were treating my stuff like junk and most of the stuff got broken or scratched during move.

I decided to move my stuff from the truck to my new apartment so that atleast stuff is safe.

Finally, after couple of hours when my stuff was moved to my new apartment, I took a breath of relieve and promised to myself that will not use these guys or in-fact anybody from kijiji ever.

It was like a night mare which ended finally but I git ripped off by them. its just an advise from me for not using them and not falling under their trap.

Subscribe to my blog and my YouTube channel "https://www.youtube.com/c/KapilSharmaG" for more such information.

Keep reading my other posts..

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your insight for your fantastic posting. I’m glad I have taken the time to see this. local playa del rey movers

    ReplyDelete